Regular international air transport for foreign operators
Timor-Leste Civil Aviation Economic Regulations (TL CAERs): Economic Regulations of Civil Aviation in Timor-Leste of April 2021, which is based on Decree Law 01-2003 Basic Law of Civil Aviation, Section 30, states that foreign air transport companies may operate regular international air transport to/from Timor-Leste only when their designation has been authorized in accordance with:
- the applicable bilateral or multilateral agreement on air transport services involving Timor-Leste and the state of the foreign air transport company; or
- a provisional authorization for operation issued during the period when negotiations of a bilateral or multilateral air services agreement are under way.
Designation of a foreign air transport company must be nominated by its government and communicated to the Government of Timor-Leste by letter, Diplomatic Note or inclusion of the details in a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU)/Agreed Record.
All foreign air transport companies must obtain a Democratic of Validation/Authorisation, Conditions and Limitations in accordance with CASR Part 10 – Commercial Air Transport by Foreign Air Operators within Timor-Leste.
Prior to commencement of its services to/from Timor-Leste, a designated foreign air transport company shall submit the following to the appropriate authority responsible for aeronautical matters in Timor-Leste:
- tariffs the company is intending to apply between the points indicated in the air agreement;
- schedule, equipment, and capacity to be used.
Any modification that involves equipment, schedule, frequency and stopovers in the territory of Timor-Leste shall depend upon prior authorization by the appropriate entity responsible for aeronautical matters in Timor-Leste, unless otherwise provided for in specific bilateral or multilateral agreements.
Requirements for application by foreign air operators for approval to operate into the territory of Democratic Republic of Timor-Leste:
- Letter of intent (application) to operate commercial flights in the territory of Democratic Republic of Timor-Leste
- A certified true copy of a valid (AOC) and associated operations specifications issued to the foreign air operator by the Foreign authority;
- A copy of the approval page for a Minimum Equipment List for each aircraft type intended to be operated by the air operator in the Democratic Republic of Timor-Leste
- A copy of the current aircraft Certificate of Registration and Certificate of Airworthiness issued for the aircraft types proposed to be operated by the air operator in Democratic Republic of Timor-Leste
- A copy of the insurance certificate;
- A copy of a document identifying the maintenance checks that are required to be carried out for aircraft of the air operator while they are operated in Democratic Republic of Timor-Leste
- A copy of the maintenance contract between the air operator and the Approved Maintenance Organization, where the maintenance under subparagraph (g), is carried out by an Approved Maintenance Organization approved by the foreign authority;
- A copy of the air service agreement, with safety clause, allowing the foreign air operator to operate in Democratic Republic of Timor-Leste, if applicable.
- In the cases of wet leased aircraft: a copy of the approval of the Civil Aviation Authority of the State of the operator, with identification of the operator that exercises operational control of the aircraft;
- A proposed Aircraft Operator Security Programme for the foreign air operator which meets the requirements of the Timor-Leste Civil Aviation Regulations, for the acceptance and subsequent approval of the Authority; and
- Any other document the Authority considers necessary to ensure that the intended operations will be conducted safely.